Wed. Mar 3rd, 2021


 (Getty Images)
(Getty Images)

Sacha Baron Cohen has responded to Facebook “finally” banning Donald Trump.

The Borat star has long been pushing for chief executive Mark Zuckerberg to prevent Trump from posting messages, and it was revealed on Thursday (7 January) that measures had been taken against the outgoing president following the riots in Washington DC.

Zuckerberg said that the president had used the platforms to “incite violent insurrection against a democratically elected government”.

He added that Trump will be removed from the site “indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete”, while giving no fixed time frame. Instagram also announced it would be doing the same.

“FINALLY – Facebook suspends Trump indefinitely’!” Baron Cohen wrote on Twitter.

“The dam is breaking. Every social media company, every online platform, every advertiser has a choice: Stand with Trump and the domestic terrorists who attacked the Capitol. Or stand for democracy.”

On Friday (8 January)< Twitter followed suit, with an overjoyed Baron Cohen deeming it “the most important moment in the history of social media”.

Many celebrities have been calling on Twitter to suspend Trump since his supporters stormed the Capitol in an attempt to stop Joe Biden’s presidency from being certified.

Meanwhile, George Clooney said that the incident, which left five people dead, has put Trump and his family “into the dustbin of history”.

Read More

Vanessa Kirby on Pieces of a Woman: ‘I wanted to shout and hit things’

Why audiences root for The French Connection’s Popeye against all odds

Netflix’s Surviving Death speaks to my lockdown anxieties about dying





Source link